the discovery by Lord North of the iron-salts bearing Chalybeate
Spring, the land was cleared and a triangular enclosure constructed
over it. In 1804 a bath house was built to provide the wealthy patrons
of the health-spa with warm vapour and shower baths.
The original spring was incorporated into the outside of this building
and survives to this day along with the facade of the Bath House.
During summer months it is still possible to 'take the waters' served
in the traditional manner by a 'dipper' - a young lady in 17th Century
Chalybeate Spring and Bath House
The Pantiles, Royal Tunbridge Wells